UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister D & F

Old 20-08-17, 10:06 PM   #21
malcolm Tierney
Forum Light User

Hm.
I bought a third carburettor and fitted it with a new inlet valve and spring. I also used the valve seat from one of the old carburettors as the one present was corrode and badly pitted. I turned the engine over and it started first time. the exhaust was a bit black so I adjusted the needle a little under the normal setting and the exhaust ran clean. I then shut it down which happened a lot faster than last time. It has not started since though. I checked the plug. It was clean and sparking. When I shut the engine down it was barely warm.
Why if the plug is clean would I be unable to re-start a nearly cold engine?

I think that I have a special bad voodoo for internal combustion engines.

Perhaps I should tinker with the timing next especially as it did back fire once or twice. This would indicate ignition too late would it not?

Regards,
Malcolm
malcolm Tierney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-17, 07:25 AM   #22
philipagri

Sounds like a magneto problem.
You say you have a spark when testing the plug but is the spark strong enough when under compression? Before altering thee timing I would check the magneto, is the condenser an old one or has it already been replaced, (usually done with a more modern car condenser that will fit in the space).
Both coil and condenser can be checked using a meter, I know there are other threads on here giving the values you should expect from them or someone else reading this thread may know.
Philip
philipagri is offline   Reply With Quote