UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections

Old 09-05-17, 03:33 PM   #1
cameltank

Exclamation Villiers WX-11 help

Hello All,

It looks like I'm going to become the proud owner of a WX-11 from south Devon - unfortunately no pictures yet and my friend who found it is saying it runs... but only just..

he's not sure of the HP so until it arrives in a couple of weeks I cant tell you anything more - however I like to be a little prepared - first purchase was a rope starter as I believe the old bent wire handles are a bit of a pig.

Is there any kind soul on here who has any operation or workshop manual - or can tell me where to find one? I've seen the parts list that's readily available but an operation manual seems to be evading me...

Any assistance would be much appreciated and as soon as it lands and I get the time off work I'll start a post to show progress.

Best

Hamish
cameltank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 03:38 PM   #2
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Hamish,

PM me your email I'll send you what I have.

Crook handles are fine, better to flick over compression than swing them over and over.
Old 09-05-17, 03:48 PM   #3
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

My Villiers Mk 10 has a rope starter I made for it by tying a knot in a length of cord, basically, with a piece of wood at one end as a handle. Works fine.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP.
PuttPuttBang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-17, 04:38 PM   #4
john kyte

If you get the engine right it will start on two or three turns on wire handle
john kyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-17, 10:38 AM   #5
cameltank

Default Villier WX-11 - starts well - but issues looming...

Hello All,

So.... a WX-11 turned up - the west country one fell through (the aluminium head pulled off the studs without warning...aluminium like powder apparently) so a little pleading with a friend in the midlands sees me the proud owner of a WX-11 LZ - with a production number of 605.

This one is an headless (I think) aluminium head hopper cooled but I'm pretty sure the LZ should be a tank cooled version - (if Villiers stuck to their service bulletins)...its 247cc rated at 1.5 HP with a cast iron piston - but I can be corrected. I'm a big fan of oily rags and working engines so if it has had a change of purpose in life that suits me.

Despite not being started ,for many weeks / months and with a fresh tank of fuel and Castrol XL, a drain of the sump a little more XL on moving parts and a prime of the carb on the second pull of the rope off it went - slow smooth running and with a few small misfires which I need to investigate (as it stops the engine running) - the knotted rope method works a treat by the way - thanks puttputtbang Mark!

I let it run for 10 mins before a backfire stopped my evening fun - and allowed the vast clouds of 2 stroke oil to disperse from the back gardens of my neighbourhood.

The choke lever seems to have little reason to exist - no needle showing underneath to run / rest on as a lever? does anyone know if this is typical? - it doesn't seem to ruin the performance as it starts very well. A few stripped bolts not moving that need attention (anyone know the thread of the lower drain tap on the sleeve below the hopper? - this one just spins without biting.. or coming out) - pic attached

I'll post a short video - more so you can hear the amount of play and the various noises coming from the big and little ends... I feel a rebuild coming on...but perhaps later this year.

Its going to need a trolley but can be moved short distances by hand - however I cant hide it as the huge clouds of 2 stroke and its meaty thump when running kind of give me away...

Over all I'm very chuffed - I've always wanted one of these - its not a 'looker' but its manageable for a shed engineer like me - I really like the restored/ maintained versions so don't yet know what to do with mine.. time will tell

No doubt more questions will come. Thanks for bearing with me...

Best

Hamish
carb side small.jpg

choke lever.jpg

serial number.jpg

water hopper.jpg

drain tap.jpg

Last edited by cameltank; 04-07-17 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-07-17, 10:44 AM   #6
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Very nice! I had an LZH a few years ago, though it was fitted with the Aerograph flywheel.

On both WX-11's I had, the "DOB" was stamped on the reverse of the petrol tank; might be worth a look.

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-17, 03:26 PM   #7
cameltank

Thanks Phil for that top tip / pointer - I'm moving gently through the engine trying not to strip stubborn bolts but will target the back of the tank for that DOB - would be nice to know!