UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Stuart-Turner

Old 08-04-17, 12:16 PM   #1
ScottUK

Default R3M amal carb

Hi guys,

Does anyone have the instruction leaflet for the Amal 396 carb as fitted to the Stuart R3 please?

I'm having real trouble setting mine up on the R3ME. The engine will run albeit lumpy, and it eventually stops with an almighty backfire through the carb, suggesting a lean mixture. However to get it to run like this the pilot screw is virtually closed, and the spark plug comes out black as you'd expect. I would have thought the pilot screw should be about two turns open. I think I have the ignition timing set right, the points are set on the dynastart to have a .020" gap at tdc as per the Villiers manual (there is no way I'll ever find the dedicated Stuart one) and they are timed to open when the first of a series of holes in the rim of the dynastart is central to the inspection hole in the end cover. This gives a points opening at 1/8" to 3/16" before TDC.

I have a spare 396 & the engine runs exactly the same when that is fitted. One thing I have noticed though is that both carbs have badly warped float chamber flanges. A possible air leak here perhaps?

Can anyone help please?
Best regards,
Scott
Old 08-04-17, 01:13 PM   #2
K_N_S_JENNINGS
Forum Supporter 2013

http://amalcarb.co.uk/

Might be worth an ask if they have the information for your carb as they sell parts for the 396 & have a booklet for setting up carbs.

Simon
K_N_S_JENNINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 05:24 PM   #3
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

The carb on my R2 was badly warped as well Scott, I faced it level with wet and dry on plate glass and fitted a fresh gasket. Not had a chance to try it yet as I still need some more engine parts.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-17, 06:40 PM   #4
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Yes somewhere, I'll have a look.
Old 09-04-17, 07:28 AM   #5
ScottUK

Thanks for all the help guys; for your gasket Pete, did you make your own, or did you manage to buy a proper one from somewhere? The gasket material I have is either too thin, and the thick that I have isn't soft enough to account for the warp. I have flatted the float bowl off, but it seems the top half is warped too.

I had a look at the Amal site, but I think that the spares they have are just ones shared with others in the range.

Thanks for the offer of the leaflet Steve, hopefully there are some base settings in there that I can work from.

Best regards,
Scott
Old 09-04-17, 10:07 AM   #6
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
Thanks for the offer of the leaflet Steve, hopefully there are some base settings in there that I can work from.

Best regards,
Scott
Fingers crossed this gives you some useful information.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AMAL+396++p1.jpg (85.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-04-17, 06:39 PM   #7
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

I had a gasket gifted to me Scott, they are a soft material (thin rubber from memory) but, as I said earlier, I haven't tested the engine yet as I might replace the cylinder and rings.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 12:03 PM   #8
ScottUK

Thanks Steve for the copy of the leaflet, unfortunately there's nothing on a basic set up of the carb, so I have sent an email to Amal to see if they have anything in their archives.

Thanks Pete, on one of my carbs the gasket is a thin rubber that looks a bit perished, on the other it is made from cork. I think I'm going to try and make one from a piece of leather - that should be thick enough and soft enough to accommodate the warp and resist petrol.

Best regards,
Scott
Old 10-04-17, 07:51 PM   #9
plasticshed

Default r3m carb

Hi Scott P M me your address and i will send you a new carb gasket,it will be a present from Bonny Scotland.
Jim
plasticshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-17, 10:25 PM   #10
ScottUK

Thanks Jim, that is very kind of you and appreciated. PM sent.

Best regards,
Scott