UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections > Lister A & B

Old 20-10-16, 08:38 PM   #51
Lister M

Quote:
Originally Posted by single flywheel View Post
Hello getting back to lister tank straps I use stainless steel banding that is used in farming circles for slurry pipes etc although not as wide as the original but it is easy to make up and does not rust.
I service very large industrial washing machines made totally from 316 stainless and if they are not looked after properly the stainless will rust.

Martin P
Old 21-10-16, 12:28 AM   #52
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by single flywheel View Post
Hello getting back to lister tank straps I use stainless steel banding that is used in farming circles for slurry pipes etc although not as wide as the original but it is easy to make up and does not rust.
Mike Watt.
Thinking about it in a rational manner Mike I now know that I was completely bonkers thinking there would be some serviceable tank straps lying about. Any that might have been doing so have probably rusted away long ago. Having said that we have had some interesting banter getting to this juncture in the narrative! As for my tank straps all I have to do is decide what type of sheet metal I am going to use to make them. All I can say is its a good job this is not the 'British Leyland Cars forum. There is probably more Lister 'D' engines still knocking about than all the surviving BL cars put together
Cycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-16, 12:31 AM   #53
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
I service very large industrial washing machines made totally from 316 stainless and if they are not looked after properly the stainless will rust.

Martin P
They make chimney liners out of 316
Old 21-10-16, 01:23 AM   #54
pulsechoes

Get Yourself down to Your local sheet metal workers shop and tell them what length and width You want and You want 18swg mild steel.
Old 21-10-16, 05:16 PM   #55
Cycloid

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
Get Yourself down to Your local sheet metal workers shop and tell them what length and width You want and You want 18swg mild steel.
Have you been to this part of Cumbria Charles? It's a 40 mile round trip to buy anything. On a more positive note I have rebuilt a small band saw that has a metal cutting blade installed, having tried it it out should make short work of 18 swg should it need trimming.