UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 24-08-16, 06:51 PM   #1
Lord Unstone

Default My belt won't stay on!

Trying to link my Lister D to a small single piston compressor, but it seems wherever I line it up, the belt wont stay on. It ran for a good couple of minutes, but slipped off again.

Big flywheel pulley on Lister, smaller pulley on compressor, and I am still so green with these things!!

Help!
Old 24-08-16, 07:25 PM   #2
Lister M

If the belt slips off the engine pulley twist the engine anti clockwise if it comes off towards the engine twist the engine clockwise, this assuming that the pulley is to left of engine.
Apply same idea to the pump.
Old 24-08-16, 08:13 PM   #3
Headless

Are both pulley wheels flat faced or is one crowned. Two flat faced pullies will dump the belt unless perfectly in line. Try a wrap or two of insulation tape on one pulley on the centre line and then try again, it should work perfectly.
Old 03-09-16, 09:25 PM   #4
Coal Miner
Forum Supporter 2011

Be aware of the belt dropping off between the pump pulley and pump body and jamming. The engine will still try to drive the belt which, if it doesn't then slip, may have the consequence of snatching the pump against the engine with embarrassing results. Both engine and pump should be secured in position.
Barry.
Coal Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-16, 09:27 PM   #5
Coal Miner
Forum Supporter 2011

Oops, 'pump' should have read 'compressor', but the principle is still the same.
Barry.
Coal Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-16, 10:45 PM   #6
Lord Unstone

Thanks..... I seem to have sorted it for now, though it is a bit of a fudge! The compressor is mounted... and the belt runs through a guide that I have made with wood. Seems to work ok.
Next plan is to make a much better platform on which to mount them both.
If anyone lives in the area, would like to meet up.
Old 03-09-16, 11:26 PM   #7
Tezfair
Forum Supporter 2013

If you are using a flat belt, alignment is the main thing, but also a small drop of golden syrup will give just enough tack to stop the belt sliding all over the place. I also really mean a small amount - no more than 1/2 a teaspoon or it may become too grippy. It will evenly spread out over the length. Apply as needed.

I use flatbelts a lot and it makes a difference. I tried the spray belting stuff but it didn't help.

I also give the belts a light wash at the end of the rally to remove any crud.
Tezfair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 11:31 PM   #8
Dazzla

Don't run the belt too tight either. A little bit of slack will allow it to tolerate a little bit of misalignment better.

Dazzla