UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop > Tricks of the Trade

Old 07-01-13, 12:48 AM   #11
mervyn cloake
Forum Supporter 2011

Just a word of warning. Test any paint stripping Product or other products that might work on a piece of aluminium first as any caustic based product will destroy it.
Merv.
mervyn cloake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-14, 11:46 AM   #12
110samec

Should have replied sooner but with brake fluid on the chassis, I gave it a degrease/ clean with white spirit after and the red oxide primer stuck on perfectly fine
Old 03-11-14, 09:58 AM   #13
novo

I've just been stripping paint off of an old 2 gall petrol can for my collection. I used cellulose thinners (as i said previously) It occurred to me that if i use the used thinners that i wash brushes in, it solves two problems. !/ what to do with the thinners. 2/ Saves on cleanup afterwards as it dries itself & just need a brush off & a rub down. (An old newspaper underneath soaks up the thinners then dries itself. No nasty dangerous residue. The last stripper i bought said in the instructions "apply stripper, leave for 24 hours" As it was crap stuff anyway it could take weeks. life's too short.