UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Member's Area > Events & Rallies Information Section > Events / Rallies General

Old 21-07-14, 08:38 AM   #1
Paul_Sterling

Default Locomotion 101, 11th/12th April 2015

Not as far away as you might believe........

Chaps,

I started a discussion on the outgoing 2014 Locomotion Thread about what we should/could add for 2015 to attract more exhibitors to the show, first advice has been acted upon, and we've added the sunday to the show, so 2015 will see the rally become a weekend rally with the aim of attracting more camping exhibitors in addition to the well supporting locals and those who came this year.

Camping will be available on site from the Friday afternoon onwards.

as the Locomotion Tractor rally is likely to be stopped after this year, we'll possibly allow tractors into the rally next year, but numbers of them have never been high for about 5 years now.

The NRM are wondering if there is any star attraction, or exhibit which would draw people to make the decision to come along?

I've got a copy of the 2015 form if anyone feels really keen. I'm planning on taking the 1XHR (possibly somewhat changed from this year), Andy's 1HR, a PT and a PB, and maybe something else of Lincolns finest, we'll see.

still think a gathering of Ruston HR series engines could/should be on the cards......................

cheers (and hope to see you all there)
Paul.
Old 21-07-14, 10:48 AM   #2
donp
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Wondering

Paul, just a query regarding " allowing tractors" at 2015 event, you like myself will know how much space we used this year, before anyone says anything about tractors I have no problem with them, but if camping is again allowed where would it be?, how much space would be needed if it is on front apron as this year, so will it all add up to there being enough room with engines, vans/caravans, trailers, tractors, towing vehicles and whatever else is needed to put on a good and viewable display for the public.

Am not complaining just doing as title says, whatever happens I will be there all being well, I know there was only 1 tractor turned up last event but was it possibly because of the weather even you said in one of your threads "weather is gash".

Don
donp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 10:59 AM   #3
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by donp View Post
Paul, just a query regarding " allowing tractors" at 2015 event, you like myself will know how much space we used this year, before anyone says anything about tractors I have no problem with them, but if camping is again allowed where would it be?, how much space would be needed if it is on front apron as this year, so will it all add up to there being enough room with engines, vans/caravans, trailers, tractors, towing vehicles and whatever else is needed to put on a good and viewable display for the public.

Am not complaining just doing as title says, whatever happens I will be there all being well, I know there was only 1 tractor turned up last event but was it possibly because of the weather even you said in one of your threads "weather is gash".

Don
Hi Don,

Camping would use the Car Park at the Entrance, vehicles behind exhibits would be limited to those round the outside of the apron, and even then, if we get a substantial increase on this years entrants, there wont be vehicles parked behind exhibits. the whole site is fairly compact, so even putting cars and trailers alongside the building in the steam up area means they are within viewing sight of the apron.

because of the hard standing in the car park, if anyone felt that they wished to have the engine by their caravan/camping arrangement, it wouldn't be overly difficult to take the engine from the apron to the encampment. but overall the site is secure, and has a very good security record, so its unlikely that any issues will come about on overnight stay if engines were left sheeted on the Apron, they've handled more valuable exhibits than ours without problem- (6 A4's, so we're in safe hands)

we basically got 50 engines this year, and they were all round the outside of the Apron, with vehicles behind them, the interior was empty, so we can comfortably double our entrants without having to make any revolutionary changes (except more barriers needed), though George and I were discussing that if we had a huge increase, we would also line engines up down the entrants walkway that goes towards Shildon Station, as that is generously wide enough to have a row of engines, and still have a wide footpath.

cheers
Paul.

Last edited by Paul_Sterling; 21-07-14 at 11:03 AM.
Paul_Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 11:36 AM   #4
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The weather killed it this year, we had more exhibitors than public, so before. you get more exhibitors you need to sort out the public attendance numbers.

Making it a 2-day event will help as it gives Joe Public a better choice.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 12:16 PM   #5
miley_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Sterling View Post
still think a gathering of Ruston HR series engines could/should be on the cards......................
We all ready get several HR's at Newby Hall every year, including a 7XHR, 3XHRO and a couple of 1XHR generating sets. I am sure that I could find space to accommodate a few more
miley_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-14, 01:00 PM   #6
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by miley_bob View Post
We all ready get several HR's at Newby Hall every year, including a 7XHR, 3XHRO and a couple of 1XHR generating sets. I am sure that I could find space to accommodate a few more
so could Locomotion Mike!

Paul.
Old 21-07-14, 01:04 PM   #7
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
The weather killed it this year, we had more exhibitors than public, so before. you get more exhibitors you need to sort out the public attendance numbers.

Making it a 2-day event will help as it gives Joe Public a better choice.

Peter

we're working on the public participation side Peter, but as the target audience for that issue was not meant to be the forum members, I did not mention much of it in the thread.

Locomotion always has been a steady stream museum, the only days that see carnage are the model railway sale days (and we don't want that on the same day or we'll be knackered for logistics). even in summer, the people coming in tend to be a steady flow of maybe 100-200 an hour. thats still 1600 a day, and what would many of our local rallies give to see that many people go through the gates.

the 6 A4's confirmed that people will travel to see something they want to see badly enough, irrespective of weather, so its a case of tapping into the interested areas, and providing the draw factor, and I can't do that without the engines to draw people in.

Paul.
Old 21-07-14, 11:19 PM   #8
'A' Lister

If you are looking for something to attract and entertain the public then I'd be tempted to go down the route of trying to encourage as many working exhibits as possible (driven machinery). A line-up of working pumps, generators, mills, root cutters, milking displays, sheep shearers, etc. should attract some interest.

Putting things into perspective, what's a 'star attraction' in terms of vintage machinery these days? The Iron Maiden? Well, increasingly less people are going to remember a British comedy film made in 1962 (52 years ago and counting!). Fred Dibnah's traction engine? Sadly Fred died 10 years ago this year, so I fear we are well on the way to having a whole new generation of people who (mainly) won't know who he was.

So, for a small event I'd be inclined to consider making the event itself the attraction, rather than any one exhibit. Well, you did ask!
Old 22-07-14, 07:54 AM   #9
Paul_Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'A' Lister View Post
If you are looking for something to attract and entertain the public then I'd be tempted to go down the route of trying to encourage as many working exhibits as possible (driven machinery). A line-up of working pumps, generators, mills, root cutters, milking displays, sheep shearers, etc. should attract some interest.

Putting things into perspective, what's a 'star attraction' in terms of vintage machinery these days? The Iron Maiden? Well, increasingly less people are going to remember a British comedy film made in 1962 (52 years ago and counting!). Fred Dibnah's traction engine? Sadly Fred died 10 years ago this year, so I fear we are well on the way to having a whole new generation of people who (mainly) won't know who he was.

So, for a small event I'd be inclined to consider making the event itself the attraction, rather than any one exhibit. Well, you did ask!
I agree Jules,

though we could also potentially steal the limelight with having a certain LNER No.4472 returning from a 9 year overhaul maybe?? lol.

actually this year we did very well for driven machinery, not just quantity, but variety too, generators, pumps, compressors, even a cobblers set to name a few. i'd like to continue that vein, and getting more exhibitors would certainly help, so just need everyone to muck in now. hint hint.

cheers
Paul.
Old 22-07-14, 12:35 PM   #10
andybat49

Well. I certainly would like to give it a go again next year.
andybat49 is offline   Reply With Quote