UK Stationary Engine Forum

UK Stationary Engine Forum (http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/index.php)
-   Towing & Trailers (http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Law and trailers. (http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38712)

pulsechoes 18-10-14 10:24 PM

Law and trailers.

Just been scrolling through ebay looking for a half decent twin axle trailer, and it is surprising how many "rule-benders" there still are. Lots of caravan chassis to build Your own!! Looked at one with no brakes that the seller says will carry 1.5 tonnes!! One with the rear axle hanging off that the seller says "can be towed home". A twin axle with "brakes on the front axle only"!! The list goes on!!

frankieflintstone 19-10-14 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulsechoes (Post 335966)
Just been scrolling through ebay looking for a half decent twin axle trailer, and it is surprising how many "rule-benders" there still are. Lots of caravan chassis to build Your own!! Looked at one with no brakes that the seller says will carry 1.5 tonnes!! One with the rear axle hanging off that the seller says "can be towed home". A twin axle with "brakes on the front axle only"!! The list goes on!!

I think VOSA should monitor Ebay and ask if they can view and when they get there there issue a prohibition on said trailers.

minorman 19-10-14 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pulsechoes (Post 335966)
A twin axle with "brakes on the front axle only"!! The list goes on!!

Interesting this one. So if I were to be towing a car built in say 1900 to the 1920's on a legal spectacle type dolly and I had fitted the car on the dolly up such that when I braked the car brakes came on I would still be illegal ? Why would I say illegal ? because a lot of cars pre 1920 only had brakes that worked on the front wheels and the front wheels are up on the dolly. Any VOSA experts out there ?

This whole area of towing, trailers etc is an absolute minefield. I think it's designed that way to trap motorists. The trailer that was legal last week is or will be illegal next week as the rules keep getting "Improved".

Appletop 19-10-14 09:11 AM

Our 4 wheel trailer was custom built by a local trailer builder in the '80s and that is only braked on the front wheels....

novo 19-10-14 09:22 AM

I've decided to sell off my trailers, partly because i'm never sure if the law has changed "again" (The thought of getting stuck with my tractor on the way to a rally because i've infringed a new regulation takes the fun out of the whole thing.) also i need the space. So sadly my 14ft Ifor Williams will be up for sale shortly. Then perhaps my 8ft covered trailer may follow before they make it illegal to sell trailers:toomuch:. I took one of my tractors to Barleylands this year instead of an engine (first time for a few years) I didnt enjoy the experience & wish i'd taken an engine. So that another reason. (I've almost persuaded myself.:undecided:

Appletop 19-10-14 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novo (Post 335974)
I took one of my tractors to Barleylands this year instead of an engine (first time for a few years) I didnt enjoy the experience & wish i'd taken an engine. So that another reason. (I've almost persuaded myself.:undecided:

I found that when I took my bulldozer to rallies that I didn't enjoy it as much, I ended up taking the dozer and an engine just so I had something to do!

Benzrestorer 19-10-14 09:44 AM

I'm afraid you are a little mistaken. Early cars up to say 1920 had brakes only on the rear axles. even the first vintage Bentleys had rear only brakes. I have never heard of any towed car having the means to apply its brakes without someone sitting in the driving seat. How does it work ?

pulsechoes 19-10-14 09:53 AM

In reply to minorman, towing dollys are only supposed to transport "immobile" (ie broken down vehicles), the law as I understand it says that any "trailer" in excess of 750kg must have brakes on all wheels in contact with the road. That includes towing dollys and "A-frames" unless they are fitted with the latest "electric" brake actuators or the car is one of the ultra lightweight "city-cars" under 750kg.

Headless 19-10-14 11:21 AM

VOSA will have nothing to say on the matter as it ceased to exist after the end on March this year.
Now replaced with Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency

K_N_S_JENNINGS 19-10-14 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzrestorer (Post 335981)
I'm afraid you are a little mistaken. Early cars up to say 1920 had brakes only on the rear axles. even the first vintage Bentleys had rear only brakes. I have never heard of any towed car having the means to apply its brakes without someone sitting in the driving seat. How does it work ?

this system allows the cars brakes to be used http://www.caratow.com/system.php