UK Stationary Engine Forum

UK Stationary Engine Forum (http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/index.php)
-   Lister D & F (http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=187)
-   -   Lister D won't run (http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36422)

firemc27 02-02-14 01:26 PM

Lister D won't run

Hi all can anyone help me my 1942 D is a bu**er start and when it does it will only run for a few seconds. Over the winter I replaced the head gasket and found water in the cylinder head this is now sorted. I have tried timing the Mag to different settings but still no luck. The engine just floods if it doesn't fire on the first swing I have also tried changing the carb but I still get the same results any advice/help would be appreciated thanks Roger

mo3mini 02-02-14 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firemc27 (Post 311369)
Hi all can anyone help me my 1942 D is a bu**er start and when it does it will only run for a few seconds. Over the winter I replaced the head gasket and found water in the cylinder head this is now sorted. I have tried timing the Mag to different settings but still no luck. The engine just floods if it doesn't fire on the first swing I have also tried changing the carb but I still get the same results any advice/help would be appreciated thanks Roger

Duff magneto? Whats the spark like?

firemc27 02-02-14 01:49 PM

Re: hi

Hi Dan just had the Mag off this morning and tested it on my bench by using a drill and socket the spark was really good and constant???

chrismac 02-02-14 02:04 PM

Try spinning it by hand to see if the spark is still as good at a slower speed.
Or if you have a multimeter check out the coil, plenty threads on here how to do it, set multimeter to 20k (not 100% sure that is the correct scale that's why its best to check the threads) ohms connect one lead to the HT lead the other to the mag body and you have a reading of between 5000 and 7000 ohms (its been a while since I checked a mag but someone will correct the incorrect instructions)

Chris,

mo3mini 02-02-14 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrismac (Post 311375)
Try spinning it by hand to see if the spark is still as good at a slower speed.
Or if you have a multimeter check out the coil, plenty threads on here how to do it, set multimeter to 20k (not 100% sure that is the correct scale that's why its best to check the threads) ohms connect one lead to the HT lead the other to the mag body and you have a reading of between 5000 and 7000 ohms (its been a while since I checked a mag but someone will correct the incorrect instructions)

Chris,

:righton:

That be the way.

novo 02-02-14 02:26 PM

Or you could do what I do (really) Hold the H.T. lead while somebody turns it over & see how high you jump. I used to do this in the garage to see which cyl wasn't firing. (Don't do it on modern cars or you'll blow your brains out)

firemc27 02-02-14 02:27 PM

slow speed

Thanks guys low speed spinning still gets a great spark. I don't have a multi meeter but may be able to borrow one Cheer's Roger

firemc27 02-02-14 02:30 PM

Mag test

Novo you must be nut's!!!!!!

Windrush 02-02-14 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firemc27 (Post 311384)
Novo you must be nut's!!!!!!

Only just found that out?......:crazy:

There is a local chap who stops his engine's by grabbing the plug lead and shorting it through his body, he tests mags the same way. Not for me, makes me jump when I do it accidently so I certainly wont encourage it!

Roger, try just putting some fuel in the float chamber (half fill it) and then turn the fuel off, see if it will start then. I have an engine that will flood easily so I do that, when it starts I turn the fuel back on again and all is well.

Pete.

Appletop 02-02-14 03:19 PM

Lister D flooding sounds like float level to high or mix screw wound open to far. When you screw the mix screw "in" does it go all the way until it stops by hitting the seat or the pin on the carb?