UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Alternative Energy / Fuels

Old 12-09-13, 10:19 AM   #1
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

Default Maplin solar offer

http://www.maplin.co.uk/60w-solar-po...mpaign=13P10-7

Ok, probably still not the cheapest way to do it, but has 'off the shelf' convenience. Had one on engine shed for the last couple or three years and it works well.

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:24 AM   #2
novo

What's a deep cycle battery Nick ?? I guess in a few years these solar cells will get cheaper & cheaper.
Old 12-09-13, 10:36 AM   #3
nickh
Forum Supporter 2013

I'm sure Peter will give you chapter and verse, but I use a second hand mobility scooter gel battery which seems to work just fine for my needs (64 watts of lighting, radio and occasional use of a small mains invertor).

NHH
nickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 10:39 AM   #4
Hugh

I think I'm right in saying its a battery that can be repeatedly run flat and recharged with ruining it. Car batteries aren't suppose to be able to stand running flat and recharging for more than a few cycles. Deep cycle Batteries are usually sold as "Leisure Batteries"(!). My own experience with them on electric fencers: don't bother. I bought one, it cost 70 lasted 2 years, I bought a cheap mini battery, 30 still going three years later. (In fact I have 6 Mini batteries on the go).

Hugh
Old 12-09-13, 10:53 AM   #5
sinna42
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I think I'm right in saying its a battery that can be repeatedly run flat and recharged with ruining it. Car batteries aren't suppose to be able to stand running flat and recharging for more than a few cycles. Deep cycle Batteries are usually sold as "Leisure Batteries"(!). My own experience with them on electric fencers: don't bother. I bought one, it cost 70 lasted 2 years, I bought a cheap mini battery, 30 still going three years later. (In fact I have 6 Mini batteries on the go).

Hugh
Not really correct - no lead acid battery likes to be run flat, although some can tolerate it.

Deep cycle batteries are designed to able to cope with higher levels of discharge which car batteries never really see.
It's all about the internal construction.

There is an excellent technical manual about Lifeline batteries - these are actually AGM batteries (absorbed glass matt). See link : http://lifelinebatteries.com/manual.pdf
The manual goes into a lot of details about depth of discharge & the life of the battery.
These particular batteries are really high quality ones & have the price to go along with it !!

Basically the deeper the discharge the shorter the life.
Quality of construction will also determine life.

Cheers,

Jim

Last edited by sinna42; 12-09-13 at 10:56 AM.
sinna42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-13, 11:53 AM   #6
Hugh

Sorry that was meant to say "without ruining it".

Hugh
Old 12-09-13, 11:55 AM   #7
sinna42
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Sorry that was meant to say "without ruining it".

Hugh
No problem ... I knew what you meant !!! :)