UK Stationary Engine Forum
 

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Alternative Energy / Fuels

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21-01-17, 04:17 PM   #21
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendel View Post
Hi Norseman,

I have both used Alfa Laval and Westfalia separators extensively at sea.
They do need some maintenance, but do the job better than the new filter you suggested and as mentioned before these will probably be cheaper from a ship breaker.

One a bit closer to you has a rather large selection of used ships equipment.

http://www.fornaes.dk/english/var-machines.php

Cheers,

Hubert
Well Hubert, I found the pictured 3kW separator at their site.

Stated to be in new condition, so it probably costs an arm and a leg...

Would a unit like this be a good choice for my intended use?

Westfalia OSD-6-91-067/4

Would you happen to know if it's new old stock, or more recent?

The year 2000 is almost 20 years away now...
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 04:18 PM   #22
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default

Forgot the link, here's the picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D328.jpg (17.2 KB, 15 views)
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 08:33 PM   #23
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default Bentonite filter

The curiosity got the better of me, so I did some fabrication today.

The 200 mm pipe was intended for a tank, so I ended up welding together some 2 1/2" scrap instead, to form a pipe for filtering higher than a 25l can.

Stainless is tough on the tools, but it's nigh on impervious to the elements, and I just love that.

Here's what I came up with for a bentonite-filter, the bag in the background:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0028.jpg (75.6 KB, 11 views)
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 08:57 PM   #24
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default

Can't remember the mesh of sinters or screen, and a couple of the better kitchen cloths have mysteriously gone missing.

I put the sinters there because I had a few of them in a bin, and the screen is intended to physically keep the bentonite in place in the tube, packed between the cloths.

The liquids will enter the filter in the bottom, pass the sinter, the mesh, the cloth, and then enter the bentonite. Forming a rising table of fuel in the filter, before passing another cloth, screen, sinter, and exit the filter on top feeding a can.

Gravity fed in the initial trials, with around a 5 m height difference to what I suppose would be like 0.4? bar at the floor accounting for specific gravity, and just feeding room-tempered dirty diesel/parafin previously used as degreaser.

Nylon fittings and tubes for these tests, as long as I'm running cold.

This is just to see if I can get flow through the bentonite at all, what the result will be, and how much I can pass through before it clogs.

The clogged filter will be treated as a core sample, to try determine a good relationship between filter height and surface area/diameter.

But the set-up of the feed-can, and putting the assembly together will have to be tomorrow, I'm done for the day
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-17, 09:05 PM   #25
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default

Oh, and the screen is just layered and glued between two flange-gaskets punched/cut out of 2 mm nitrile rubber gasket material.

Threads to M6 in the receiving 4 mm SS flanges, 7 mm holes for the screws.

I have thought about doing this for awhile, and posting here urged me to get my ass moving on it

And I realised that I really have missed to fabricate something... It was a while ago.

That's all
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 03:31 PM   #26
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default

Fatigue got the better of me yesterday, and my attempts at redundancy failed

The sinter in the upper outlet flange has since been removed; it would have punched a hole in my screen.

Of course.

Here's a few pics of the assembly being filled and put together:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0029.jpg (49.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0030.jpg (62.2 KB, 6 views)
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-17, 03:40 PM   #27
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default

More, the feed-system and actual run will have to be later, but the filter is ready for testing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0030.jpg (62.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_dsc_0032.jpg (64.3 KB, 10 views)
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-17, 10:21 PM   #28
norseman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 108
Default

The Westfalia unit was 20k Euros, so that'll stay in Denmark. They're too complex anyway. If the filter works, I'll probably buy the filtermaxx, use it as a prefilter, and then the bentonite to turn "black diesel" golden again.

No trial runs has been done with my bentonite filter yet, and I have decided to pack it in another way.

Cotton and bentonite in alternating layers, and a solid wad of cotton on top.

Updates when I get around to try it, there's too few hours in a day.
norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.