UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > The Workshop

Old 25-12-18, 12:47 AM   #551
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticshed View Post
Hi did you not use mole grips when you was a motor mechanic for clamping flexi brake hoses etc , they have got me out of a few scrapes used the proper way, they are an extra pair of hands as far as I am concerned and would not be without them.
Jim
There is no proper way to use them on a rubber hose, thats why they make hose clamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrush View Post
Used them a lot when I was fitting Jim, as you say clamping brake hoses and removing pipework etc where access was too small to get stillsons in place and clamping spanners onto nuts etc where you couldn't get a hand in easily. Also for rounded off/corroded nuts etc where a spanner wouldn't grip and you couldn't get at it with a hammer and cold chisel. I still have six pairs I think, various sizes with both straight and curved shaped jaws. I actually used a pair today to clamp some corroded threaded bar on an old engine trolley while struggling to remove the nuts from either end. I only use old ones for welding though as the heat tends to weaken the spring on them.

Pete.
Same goes, the proper tool is always better, and the right tools are always worth the investment in the long run.
Heat doesn't affect them, or shouldn't as you clamp and then tack weld, clamps are removed long before heat is an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lister M View Post
Apart from using them to clamp bits of metal together for welding what can mole grips be used for that doesnt wreck the material they are clamped to.

Martin P
Precisley Martin, I have never had to resort to them, and I really can't see that changing now.

Neil.

Last edited by Hornet 6; 25-12-18 at 08:35 PM.
Hornet 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-18, 08:48 AM   #552
plasticshed

Default mole grips

o well it must be good to be perfect in the use with our tools.Have a merry xmas.
Jim
plasticshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-18, 01:40 PM   #553
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
o well it must be good to be perfect in the use with our tools.Have a merry xmas.
Jim
Its pretty simple, you either care about what your doing and want to do the best job you can, or ...............

Anyway everyone, enjoy the break, and do whatever you want to do, however you want to do it

Neil.
Old 25-12-18, 02:09 PM   #554
Windrush
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Jim
When you are working in quarries etc you use whatever is to hand Jim, the 'proper tools' (assuming the company even has them in the first place, they are not renowned for buying tools!) are often hanging up on a floor somewhere in the far distance of the site. Grab whatever you can and get the machine working again and worry about the fineries later, downtime is not an option!

Same with adjustables, an 18 inch pair were essential for hydraulic pipe fittings etc and even those were too small for some jobs so a large set of stillsons were needed. I still use my 18" adjustables on the rallyfield for assembling my dairy set!

Anyway have a good Xmas Jim, catch you somewhere in 2019.

Pete.
Windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-18, 09:23 AM   #555
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

When I was a kid mole grips were the farmers spanner. A lad near me never used anything else. Why invest in expensive tools when one tool would do everything? Mole grips would replace pliers, pincers, spanners, clamps, pry bar etc all in one handy pocket sized tool. I guess it dosn’t matter if you are working on junk.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 50/75V DC General Electric Dynamo.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote