UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Model Stationary Engines

Old 04-02-15, 10:16 AM   #11
4stroke

Yes the preview is the correct way up but then appears the wrong way up on here??
4stroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 10:41 AM   #12
Sparky2
Forum Light User

Hi
I think I understand where 4Stroke is coming from.
My wife and I both have Apple IPads and you have to make sure that the camera lense is in the top left hand corner when you take the picture, Otherwise when you send it to a standard computer, in our case a standard desktop computer running windows, it will appear upside down or lying on its side. It wasn't until people started asking why we had sent the picture upside down that I twigged that it must be with something to do with the iPad lens position. When you look at the picture on the iPad that you used it will always be correct because the iPad rotates the picture so it's always in the correct viewing mode.
Hope this helps.
Roger.
Sparky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 11:03 AM   #13
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by listerdiesel View Post
So it doesn't show a preview before you send the image?

You don't have any means of looking at the image after it has been taken?

Peter
It does Peter, but it can look OK and still rotate the image afterwards, I think it's a bug with the iPhone 4. It's almost like encoded in the image are the "wrong" instructions about which way up it should be.

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 50/75V DC General Electric Dynamo.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 11:07 AM   #14
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

The trick here is to always save your picture to a file on your computer before you do anything else with it. Once it's saved to the computer, open and rotate it to the correct orientation, and re-save it. Then upload it to your forum gallery or web sharing site.

Better still, stop throwing your hard-earned cash away on Apple i-crap and buy a camera!

MP
martinpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 11:31 AM   #15
'A' Lister

I feel a lot of sympathy for users of phones when trying to use forums on.them. My Internet router broke on Monday so I've been reduced to using my smartphone to access emails and the Internet. A right pain in the armpit that is! Just typing this has taken minutes, let alone trying to manipulate images and post them (whichever way Up) on the forum, so leave the poor chap alone, eh!

I just hope that replacement router arrives today, you don't miss what you've got till it's gone!

Last edited by 'A' Lister; 04-02-15 at 11:35 AM.
'A' Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 11:44 AM   #16
listerdiesel
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

I have a Kindle Fire HD6 which Rita bought me for Xmas. It also has the auto-rotate which I find a little annoying, but it works so I don't worry too much about it.

As Martin says, save the picture, edit it then send it off, don't just blindly send an image away without knowing what it is like for others to view.

Cameras are for taking pictures, phones are for talking to people with.

Peter
listerdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 12:33 PM   #17
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

A bit if an old fashion way of looking at things, most smart phone cameras are as good as cheap p&s in good light. Though I don't us the camera on my mobile phone it has made my photography work flow much easier, especially as I am normally away from fixed Internet and don't want to carry a laptop!
I can take a picture of my Camera, transfer it to my phone using WiFi edit it as I please with apps like snapspeed and upload it to Flickr while sat with a coffee or on the train.
For the forum I find it best to upload to a site like Flickr, the forum isn't great for mobile use.

As a test I've just attached one from my phone.

Cheers, Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-08-24_09-51-29.jpg (209.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 04-02-15, 12:34 PM   #18
modelengineer

But getting back to the original question, can anybody help identify this engine?
Regards
Dougie
modelengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 03:21 PM   #19
PuttPuttBang
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankin_giant View Post

As a test I've just attached one from my phone.

Cheers, Steve
That's a nice photo Steve, is that anyone we know ?

1929 Ruston-Hornsby 6 AP, 1925 Ruston-Hornsby 5 IP, 50/75V DC General Electric Dynamo.
PuttPuttBang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-15, 04:45 PM   #20
skankin_giant
Forum Supporter 2013

Dr Dyke, they restored one of his cars with his son on Salvage Squad.

Cheers, Steve