UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > General Transport Section > Towing & Trailers

Old 19-03-17, 02:04 PM   #21
Lister M

Not doing up to 1000 miles a week, getting up at silly o'clock and getting home late will be compensation enough
Old 19-03-17, 02:26 PM   #22
pulsechoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by slb10420seac View Post
About 5 years ago I bought a four wheel trailer from TS White with a 2700kg gross limit. That was above the limit of my car so I had the same query. So they wrote me a letter to say I was legal as long as the overall weight was within the capacity of the car. I carry the letter with me in the give box in case I ever get stopped but so far haven't had to get it out.
The page I referred to earlier was at "Gov.UK" and stated exactly what You are saying. Strangely, I don't seem to be able to find it now, so perhaps they have "changed the rules" again.
Old 12-07-17, 08:56 PM   #23
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Apologies for digging up an old thread...

I'm currently looking at trailers and what I am actually allowed to tow. As others have found, all very confusing!

I passed my test after 1st of January 1997, which quoting from the .gov website means that I can:

"drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM"

"tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg"

The Land Rover's plate is marked as follows:

Maximum permitted laden weight: 2710kg

Maximum vehicle and trailer weight: 6710KG

Can I then assume that so long as my vehicle does not exceed 2710kg and the trailer not exceed 750kg, the total train weight then not exceeding 3500kg, it is all nice and legal or does the plated train weight dictate that I would need to take the trailer test?

Guidance appreciated!

Thanks,

Phill.
wolseley phill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-17, 09:11 PM   #24
Headless

You can use your Land Rover fully loaded to 2710Kg and still pull an unbraked trailer weighing in at 750Kg.
Old 12-07-17, 09:13 PM   #25
Lister M

Phill,

What you need to be sure of is how much the trailer will weight empty, obvious I hope but my trailer weights 400kg empty so I can only carry a max of 1600kg, I'm not even sure if that doesnt include the spare wheel, ramps and support jacks on the trailer rear as these are optional extra's so you have to make sure that your 750 kgs isn't eaten up by the trailer weight.

Martin P
Old 12-07-17, 09:46 PM   #26
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks gents, should be fine then.

Most of the 750kg trailers I have been looking at have an unladen weight of sub 200kg, that would be fine for the engines I will be moving with it. Finding something with a really decent floor on the other hand is proving more difficult.

Cheers,

Phill.
Old 12-07-17, 09:47 PM   #27
pulsechoes

Look at Your license, Phill, if You have category B then You can tow a trailer up to 750kg. If You want to tow a trailer over 750kg then You will need to get category B+E which entails further lessons and another test.
Old 12-07-17, 09:59 PM   #28
pulsechoes

Look out for a decent second hand 6 x 4 Paxton trailer and board the floor with 20mm marine ply. They have a very strong floor but it is corrugated steel.
Old 12-07-17, 10:50 PM   #29
Robotstar5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
Look out for a decent second hand 6 x 4 Paxton trailer and board the floor with 20mm marine ply. They have a very strong floor but it is corrugated steel.
Phenolic resin plywood, also known as Buffalo board is good for trailer floors.

Stuart.
Old 17-07-17, 09:54 PM   #30
wolseley phill
Forum Supporter 2013

Thanks for the advice gents, sorry for my delayed reply.

I'm considering buying a new Bateson trailer, particularly their 750kg, model 720, 7 x 4 twin axle- there is a dealer locally.

I have seen the box version of the twin axle and it's a very nicely made sturdy unit, tows really smoothly too. Quite a high unladen weight but I know the engines aren't going through the floor.

Having looked around at second hand trailers, I've decided a new one may be a good purchase - maintaining the tow vehicle takes enough time without a dodgy old trailer to contend with too! A Sankey would be nice, but not practical.

Phill.