UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Only Stuff > Diesel Engine Section

Old 27-03-18, 11:17 PM   #1
daisy

Default Bamford SD1

Hello
Does anyone know what kind of trolley these where fitted to, I'm getting one soon which is fitted to original skids but need to mount it on a trolley and have a the makings of an original bamford trolley (think of a 6hp open crank engine). It is without its timbers but subject to the measurements being ok was going to use some channel as the bearers and sit the skids in the channel. I know I could use the original skids as the bearers but don't want to start drilling holes in them.
Cheers
Simon
daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 09:26 AM   #2
daisy

Default Bamford sd

Hi
Thought someone might know out there?
Cheers
Simon
Old 31-03-18, 09:41 AM   #3
dannysdriver

Talking Bamford sd1

Hello Simon,
I can't tell you if these engines were fitted to trolleys or not. But I do know These engines weigh approximately half a ton.I would have thought they were more likely to have been used on fixed installations.I could of course be totally wrong
dannysdriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-18, 09:50 AM   #4
woodsman

Quite a few picures here that might help...

http://henrybamfordandsonsuttoxetere...uk/renovation/

Tha can alus tell a Yorkshireman - but tha can't tell him much.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 10:31 AM   #5
daisy

Default Bamford sd1

Hi
Thanks for the replies. I did wonder if only supplied with skids given their bulk , someone else has seen it and thought it might be an sd2 but don't know how much weight difference there is between sd1 and sd2. I would have thought the next step up to an sd3 is the bigger weight difference. how does the weight compare to a Bamford 6hp o/c sure my planned trolley will be fine if weight similar.
Cheers
Simon
Old 15-05-18, 03:11 PM   #6
daisy

Default Bamford sd1

Picked up this morning without a hitch ,been a while waiting for it but very pleased, all there apart from the silencer ( has anyone got one) lovely nick and covered in nice thick layer of oily gunge . Might have to re think the trolley idea as has cross member timbers which I never saw when looked at it ages ago. It is an sd1 but they are lumps.
Cheers
Simon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1518.jpg (117.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 15-05-18, 03:55 PM   #7
pulsechoes

My Z2 was a very similar "lump" to Your SD1. The trolley it came on was probably original, certainly looked like it with the rear axle cast brackets and the steering axle pivot assembly. That was channel iron on edge with wood above. I thought that it didn't look or feel right with the steering axle under the engine so I turned it round and shortened it a bit, then it was far better.

My "Oil Engine Manual" says that the SD1 weighs 1090lbs (494.4 kg), The SD2 weighs 1170lbs (530.7kg) and the SD3 weighs 1275 lbs (578.3kg).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.Hethersgill 2013..JPG (183.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 9.Rejigged and shortened Trolley..JPG (171.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by pulsechoes; 15-05-18 at 04:09 PM.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 04:37 PM   #8
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Can't really tell from the pictures Charles, but that ironwork looks a lot like Petter to me...?

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 09:47 PM   #9
pulsechoes

It could very well be from Petter's. I'd seen another Z2 sitting on an identical trolley elsewhere so supposed that it was a Bamford trolley. One feature that I thought was distinctive was that the pivot pin on the "front" axle wasn't "in line" with the axle so the wheelbase could be altered by about 4 inches by jacking the front up and turning the axle round, which I thought a little strange for such a heavy engine. It must have put a bit of stress on the pivot block.

By the way, Paul (woodsman) I get HTTP 500 error when I click on Your posted link to Bamfords.

Last edited by pulsechoes; 15-05-18 at 09:51 PM.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-18, 10:18 PM   #10
martinpaff
Admin Team
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsechoes View Post
By the way, Paul (woodsman) I get HTTP 500 error when I click on Your posted link to Bamfords.
So do I - it worked when Paul posted it. Perhaps that little project has come off the rails?

MP
martinpaff is online now   Reply With Quote