UK Stationary Engine Forum

Go Back   UK Stationary Engine Forum > Main Engine Section > Engine-Specific Forum Sections

Old 17-05-18, 07:59 AM   #11
pulsechoes

The "other" one is still on at just short of 2X what I was asking for mine. He says he has managed to get his running, with a little time and effort, mine would have run too.

Also had a "bite" on the Lister D last evening and his reply when I told him the location was "Too far ha ha " I mean , what do people want????

Last edited by pulsechoes; 17-05-18 at 08:02 AM.
pulsechoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 09:54 AM   #12
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Too far, I struggle with that one, I think if you live in the extreme corners of this country you would need to really want something to travel from one corner to the other. But you are in pretty easy range of the midlands. In the past I have done near 500 mile round trips to collect something I really want. That said i'm a little reluctant to do more 350 to 400 mile round trips these days, and I'm sure that will decrease as time passes.

Neil.
Old 17-05-18, 12:01 PM   #13
Lister M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post
Too far, I struggle with that one, I think if you live in the extreme corners of this country you would need to really want something to travel from one corner to the other. But you are in pretty easy range of the midlands. In the past I have done near 500 mile round trips to collect something I really want. That said i'm a little reluctant to do more 350 to 400 mile round trips these days, and I'm sure that will decrease as time passes.

Neil.
I agree with you for once having done 50,000 miles a year for years I've now reduced that to 10,000 miles since retirement. Saying that I'm off to the Anson Museum for the day tomorrow via Aircooled to pick up a couple of items including a lister trough, a lister Flower pot stand and a lister L fuel tank on its woodwork.

Martin P
Old 17-05-18, 12:07 PM   #14
chrismac
Forum Supporter 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post

Neil.
Tell me about it, If I really want something large/pallet size its costs generally in the region of 100 to get it shipped,

I bought an item of ebay the other week, cost me 30, 60 to get it home

Chris
chrismac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-18, 02:41 PM   #15
pulsechoes

Depends on Your commitment to the hobby, I suppose. I did Carlisle>Lowestoft >Durham>Carlisle for 2 deals and Carlisle>Cardiff>Carlisle for 1 deal which were both long and tiring treks to get what I wanted.

On the subject of delivery charges, I sold a set of magazines to a guy in the Antipodes a few years back, they weren't published over there, but he really wanted them. The magazines cost him around 15 and the
postage was just shy of 120, but he was happy and the envy of all his pals!!

Last edited by pulsechoes; 17-05-18 at 02:45 PM.
Old 17-05-18, 06:23 PM   #16
Hornet 6
Forum Supporter 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismac View Post
Tell me about it, If I really want something large/pallet size its costs generally in the region of 100 to get it shipped,

I bought an item of ebay the other week, cost me 30, 60 to get it home

Chris
That's definitely one way to do it, but it's usually a pain for the person selling, unless they can pallet whatever it is, and not have it in the way.
I have twice received things that way, trouble is they come to my home address which is awkward if it's something I can't load in the van as it is, on my own.
As for having stuff collected by a courier, only once, never again.

Neil.
Old 17-05-18, 06:38 PM   #17
pulsechoes

Shame I'm not still working, I used to travel the length and breadth of the country and invariably ended up with an empty vehicle ( 3.5 tonne LT pick-up or 7.5tonne flat back) and the boss didn't mind me picking up or dropping off stuff. Lost count of the number of engines I've hauled here and there, and brought back to the shop and transferred to the back of my trusty old 3.5 Range Rover and Xantia Estate. Used to average 2000 miles a week. Furthest I go now is the Hospice with the Old Girl on a Tuesday, and very rarely to rallies local to me. Furthest I've been in a while is Castle Douglas to pick a trailer up.

I don't have problems with couriers. The Bentall I got from Mr P came overnight and was delivered to my back door on a pallet truck, one from Miley-bob's came the same way, as did the Gardner from Holland, no problems at all.

Last edited by pulsechoes; 17-05-18 at 06:42 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM   #18
Lister Boy

Hi,
thought I'd tidy this one off:
1. I did not try FW Thornton so thanks for that.
2. No thanks for the digression in this thread!
3. Both the Lister 3 1/2 CS and the ST range have the same bore size however the wall thickness on a G1 is quite small - the ring cross section being close to a square. Clearly not the best from a design point as it allows it to 'tip'. Both the CS and ST have a more sensible cross section being 'rectangular' in form.
4. No-one else is currently looking for rings!
Thanks Mike
Lister Boy is offline   Reply With Quote